Monday, January 10, 2011

Writing Chain


Denying Fairytales



Once upon a time, there lived a queen...

I closed the book. Something inside me has forced myself to stop reading Snow White. Books that begin with "once upon a time" always ends with "happily ever after". I hate that. Too obvious. Such as a beautiful princess meets handsome prince and they live happily ever after.

Let's think about nowadays. There can be a realistic story like they meet(the prince and the princess) and they are trying to marry but their parents don't agree. That's what happens in real life pretty much.

In reality, "once upon a time" does not end with "happily ever after".

Once upon a time.

Happily ever after.

I threw down the book in frustration and anger. What had I hoped to find? A perfect fairytale solution that would solve all my problems and change me into Cinderella?

Happily ever after.

Would there, could there ever be a happy ending for me?

Just then, someone knocked on the door - three quick raps, followed by a pause and then one soft knock.

I jumped up gladly - I was happy for a distraction from my problems anytime. I ran to the door, shouting, "Coming, Jess!"

I fumbled with the deadbolt in my haste.

She came in and showed me a book that has a big picture of a penguin on the cover. Jess knows that I collect penguins. Penguin stuffed animals, pencils, pillows, books, anything! I thanked her for the new addition for my collection, and I sent her to the kitchen to feed herself. I sat down on mt comfy couch and stated reading, expecting it to be a non-fiction.

Once upon a time...

Oh my goodness. I closed the book right away and looked at the title that I was supposed to read before opening the book. Adventures of the Little Penguin. Of course. What I thought it would be a great non-fiction full of fun facts on penguins was actually an obvious story about a little penguin who goes on a journey to find fish for his family.

Although I was annoyed, I decided to read the whole book since it was from my best friend after all. And the ending was: happily ever after...

I sighed and thought out loud, "what are the publishers and authors thinking? they're emphasizing that only the pretty and kind characters succeed in life. Hello, face the reality and teach kids that fairytales don't mix with it!"

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder, and that made me jump. It was Jess. "What's wrong?", she asked.

"Oh, nothing" I answered shortly.

But as for Jess, my best-friend-forever, she noticed my problemed face. "Tell me."

I breathed in and told her that I hated the obvious stories in fairytales, and how I get so jealous of the main characters in there for succeeding in life with really doing anything. Jess chuckled a bit and said, "No need to be jealous. Because the characters in fairytales never have best friends like you do."

4 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting story! I like how it begins and ends. Very creative! It seems like it could become a real book written by a real author wanting to make real money! That's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it too!!! Very nice point. That should be those short stories in textbooks that say:
    After reading this story, what lesson do you think the author learned? CREATIVE^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah~~
    I took a part in writing this story too....
    The conclusion I made kinda sucks, but the writing itself was great, so it covered my weaknesses...LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO~~~i thinked the conclusion was very good too. You must be a very good writer!

    ReplyDelete